Translate

Monday, December 30, 2013

My 12 Days: Days 4-5, la dolce far niente

Luca Spaghetti: "You don't know pleasure.  You have to be told that you've earned it.  But an Italian doesn't need to be told.  He walks by a sign that says you deserve a break today.  And he says, yeah, I know.  That's why I'm planning to take a break at noon to go over to your house and, sleep with your wife."
 
Giovanni: "We call it dolce far niente.  It means the sweetness of doing nothing.  We are masters of it."

I love this part.  Actually, I love the movie, Eat, Pray, Love. The clip above is part the explanation of the joy of careless idleness, la dolce far niente.
On my journey to become a proper story teller, I thought it would be pertinent to share my careless idleness with you.  This occurs on one day every week I like to call "Chinese Food Sunday."
Chinese food Sunday is the day I catch up on my sleep, wake up, buy Chinese food, eat and, spend the day on Xbox or watching sports.  There is no need to think or worry about whether or not I've earned it either.  It's my one day to enjoy my time and it enjoy it with my husband.  We always make it a point to make up before Chinese Food Sunday.  Somehow the food and the subsequent gaming don't feel or taste as good.
What is your dolce far niente like?  You can leave a comment below or tweet me, @jjezrie on twitter.

1 comment:

  1. this is great Jez, so happy to see you are writing again :) I too have fallen off the wagon... oh the joys of aging and working full time!

    I would say my dolce far niente is Sunday too, but more like sushi and really bad Bravo TV. I also like to sit on the subway and enjoy the nothingness of the moment, unlike most other New Yorkers who are glued to their "smart phones" which are making them dumber. ;)

    ReplyDelete