Translate

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Wha the Wattpad...

Kiddos, come and see.

Have I told you about the Wattpad?  How about the myth some random contributor was discovered by a publishing company and offered an opportunity for money, after her poetry was read and loved?
Well, the last part is true.

I've since hazarded a try at the free publishing site.  There are millions of writers, loads of genres, lots and lots of fan fictions about One Direction.  
"Why do I care," you ask?  Well, I'm one of them.  Not one of the One Direction fan fiction writers.  That would be like me dropping Catholicism to worship clowns for fun.  #N*Syncforever
What I mean to say is that I am a contributor.  My first short story, Passing Notes, is an ode to my childhood.  Below is an excerpt for your literary pleasure.

“Thanks for doing this for me.” Monica smiled as she ran her fingers through her thick brown locks.
“Why do you two hate each other so much?” I asked.
“I don’t know,” Monica answered raising a brow.  “I’m just glad we get to sit together so we get to be better friends,” she said.
We did become better friends.  It was me to secure her a spot at the front of the line when we would switch classrooms with the Eighth graders in the morning and afternoon.  It was me who would go to fetch whatever she needed from her coat in the cubby area.  It was me who entertained her when she was visibly bored with lessons.  And, it was me who dutifully delivered hand written love notes to Andrew, another in the list of potential suitors, and my heart’s desire. 

One day after days and, days of carrying notes back and forth between Andrew and Monica a rumor erupted within the world of the upperclassmen.  Monica was moving on from Andrew to another suitor.  After hearing, I sat at my desk white as a sheet and nauseous.  My “job” was in jeopardy.  I couldn’t speak to Monica because she had been absent on the particular day the news broke.
I wouldn’t get to talk to her either.  The sudden sickness I thought was due to becoming unemployed was actually an infection.  I spent the next three days in bed.

I got to school the next morning cranky and anxious.  I slammed my things on my desk.  Monica flinched.
“What’s that all about?”  She asked me as though I’d hit her.  Considering the mess that would certainly unravel, I wanted to.
“Did you read Andrew’s note?”  I asked her.
“No, I told you we’re over,” she said with an attitude.  She paused.
“You should be happy I dumped him,” she said, “now you can go back to your dream relationship with him.”
Bitch.
Before I could get my response out, the door swung open. 

www.wattpad.com/story/13646898-passing-notes
JemCourtney31



No comments:

Post a Comment